Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Wholesome Blueberry Pancakes.....



The hardest thing about eating right for me is breakfast.  Breakfast is my favorite, favorite, favorite meal!  I love it so much that one night a week at my house.... I make breakfast for dinner for the little birdies.  The problem with breakfast?  It is usually high in sugar, fat, carbs and calories.  For a while I was cooking for the family..... a scrumptious big breakfast, and making myself a smoothie.  Now I am not knocking smoothies.  When the kiddos are in school it is my go to breakfast of choice because I can take it with me on the go.  But, it is so hard not to sit down and indulge in a big stack of pancakes... especially when everyone else around you is.  So alas I present you with this yummy healthy version of Blueberry Pancakes (and yes this will be what I make for breakfast tomorrow morning).


Ingredients:

1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 cup splenda granulated sweetner
1/2 cup low fat milk
1 cup low fat cottage cheese
2 large eggs, well beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup fresh blueberries

Directions:

In a medium bowl, mix together the flours, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and sweetner.

In another bowl, whisk together the milk, cottage cheese, eggs and vanilla extract.

Whisk the wet ingredients into the dry, being carful not to overmix.  Fold in the blueberries.

Preheat a nonstick griddle or skillet over medium heat.  Allow the pancake batter to rest while the griddle is preheating.  Spray the griddle lightly with cooking spray.

Pour 1/4 cup of batter per pancake and spread into 4 inch circle.  Cook the pancake for 3 to 4 minutes on the first side, until edges appear dry, some of the bubbles have popped, and the underside is browned.  Flip the pancake and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes.  The centers will puff and remain moist.  Serve hot.

Use sugar free or light syrup to keep it healthy.  I have found an awesome 0 calorie sugar free syrup I love by Walden Farms:


This can be found at most heath food stores including Sprouts, Whole Foods and Vitacost online. 

Calories: 
180 Calories in 2 pancakes

No comments:

Post a Comment