Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Cranberry Raisin Bran Muffins....... Made From Raisin Bran Cereal!



So despite my best efforts.... my kiddos don't always eat everything I buy.  I am a big believer in trying new things.... especially when it comes to healthy foods.  I bought a few boxes of Raisin Bran Crunch a little while back hoping that the kiddos would dig right in and love it, I mean they love raisins, they love pretty much any kind of cereal, so they would love this right?  Yeah... wrong.  My hopes of replacing a few other boxes of what I call junky cereals that the kiddos love ( you know the ones with marshmallows, chocolate pieces,  and tons of sugar? ) with these boxes of raisin bran were a complete bust.  Now while the mama loves and eats this cereal.... I am only one person.  So I found myself standing in a blank gaze at the row (yes you read right row, as in 5 boxes) thinking to myself.... " Yeah now what?"

Well I present you with a solution.  Cranberry raisin bran muffins... made from yes you guessed it..... the raisin bran.  I baked up a batch of these... and behold, they all got eaten. In fact not only did they all get eaten.. but I was met with open hands begging for another and another.   So high five to me for figuring out a way to use up the once unwanted cereal..... because I hate wasting food, have I mentioned that before?  I believe I have.  Also... these muffins are mommy friendly too, as in friendly to your waistline.  They have only 120 calories in each.  A certain popular coffee chain who's name I won't mention... cough, cough, Starbucks, cough.... has a similar Cranberry Bran Muffin, and it has almost 500 calories in one!




Cranberry Raisin Bran Muffins

Ingredients

1 1/2 cups raisin bran cereal
1 cup low fat buttermilk
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
2 tablespoons canola oil
2 tablespoons molasses
1/2 cup splenda granulated sweetner
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 large egg
1 cup all purpose flour
1/12 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/3 cup dried cranberries

Directions

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Lightly spray 12 muffin cups with nonstick baking spray.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the first 8 ingredients (raisin bran through egg) set aside.

In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder and cranberries and stir.  Create a well in the center and add the raisin bran mixtures.  Using a large spoon or spatula, stir just until the dry ingrediens are moistened.

Spoon the batter evenly into prepared muffin tins filling each cup 2/3 of the way full.

Bake for 15 to 18 minutes or until the center springs back when lightly touched.  Cool for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment